With 2019 around the corner, I thought I’d like to take you through a few different ways you can set goals for 2019 - and make them stick. I’ve created a quick video that will take you through why we use goals, why they are important, and how goal setting works. There’s also a hot tip to super charge your goal getting.
Why do we use goals?
Goals are a great strategy and planning tool that help you to move you from one place to another. In it’s simplest form, goals mapping out your steps in a positive direction, they can help you to see what needs to be done, and can help you prioritise to make sure you get there.
Goals are Important for Focus
The reason I think that goals are really important is that we can so easily fill our day with tasks that come up, fulfilling other people’s needs of us sometimes, but these tasks don’t necessarily get us working towards betterment. Which is ultimately what we all want to do by using goals. Is be better at something, do better for something, feel better than we do right now.
The Elements of Goal Setting
There are short term and long term goals, but all goals require a few elements to be effective.
- You need to be able to set it within a time frame.
- Goals must be achievable - Set your goals for success, but don’t make them too easy, or something you would achieve anyway. Remember you can always set a stretch goal to help push and motivate you that little bit more.
- It must be measurable, and by that it simply means that you know what success will look like.
- And it must be written down/typed/recorded.
We have a number of different planners for 2019 that are designed to help you achieve your goals for the year ahead. The video below will take you through those planners and will give you a hot tip for getting your goals to stick.
- MiGoals Hard Cover 2019 Weekly Planner with Goals and Budget
- MiGoals Classic 2019 Weekly Planner with Goals and Notes
- Canvast Cloth Year Planner, Undated
- Get to Work Book 2019 Year Planner
- MiGoals Goal Digger 2019 Weekly Planner
How to Make those Goals Stick
One technique I use to make sure I have the very best chance of achieving my goals is to take a moment while I am planning and think about what barriers or obstacles could prevent me from achieving this goal. It could be an external factor - such as getting buy-in/approval from someone else - or an internal factor, like your mindset.
So for example, if I wanted to get to the gym three times a week for six weeks, but I also know I love a sleep in, I know that an obstacle will be forgetting to take my gym bag.
When you know what could prevent you from achieving the goal, you can come up with ideas and strategies to get around them - such as packing a gym bag the night before.
So that's it - a summary of goals and a hot tip to make them stick. Let me know how you go, or take a few minutes to watch the video below to see more about making your goals stick for 2019.
Also, tell me your hot tips for smashing your goals in the comments, or get in touch by email or direct message.